Longlisted for the 2016 Branford Boase Award
How many times can you lose the person you love?
Katherine and Matthew are destined to be born again and again, century after century. Each time, their presence changes history for the better, and each time, they fall hopelessly in love, only to be tragically separated.
Spanning the Crimean War, the Siege of Carlisle and the near-future of 2019 and 2039 they find themselves sacrificing their lives to save the world. But why do they keep coming back? What else must they achieve before they can be left to live and love in peace? Maybe the next together will be different…
A powerful and epic debut novel for teenagers about time-travel, fate and the timelessness of first love. The Next Together is told through a mixture of regular prose, diary entries, letters, “original” historical documents, news reports and internet articles.
Word count: 79,000 Ages 12+
“Perfect for holidays” – Marie Claire
“An author to watch” – Kirkus Reviews
“Fans of Alexandra Bracken’s Passenger and Heidi Heilig’s The Girl from Everywhere will enjoy this romance through time and history. This science fiction take on European history will excite any historical fiction reader.” – School Library Journal
The Next Together is published by Walker Books in the UK and Australia and Sky Pony Press in the USA. You can read the first chapter and a collection of short stories and deleted scenes here.
První konec (“The First End”) – Czech Republic (CooBoo)
Em Nossa Proxima Vida (“In Our Next Life”) – Brasil (HarperCollins)
Bir Sonraki Hayatımız (“Our Next Life”) – Turkey (Yabanci Yayinlari)
Любовь И Другие Катастрофы (“Love and Other Catastrophes”) – Russia (Ripol)
My blog posts about The Next Together are all collected here. Here are some links to get you started:
- My writing journey
- Buzzfeed quiz – Which timeline should you live in?
- Chapter One from Matt’s Point of View
- The book as different genres
- Deleted scenes
- Harry Potter crossover
- A Snapchat conversation between Kate and Matt
- Playlist for the book
- Kate and Matt’s wedding
Moodboard by simonlevvis
Art by the art traveller
Doodles by Alice Oseman
Moodboard by Arianne
Moodboard by frenchexite
Moodboards made by me (age 17)
Moodboards made by me (age 21)
Initial cover sketches by Jack Noel
2019 Kate and Matt & 1854 Katy by Sarah
Latest posts about The Next Together
- Most highlighted book quotesAmazon Kindle has a feature where popular sentences of eBooks are underlined, showing parts that multiple readers have highlighted. This is basically the best gift ever for a writer: if you’re ever feeling down, go and flick through your eBookContinue reading “Most highlighted book quotes”
- Kindle reader highlights for The Next TogetherAs you may or may not be aware, Amazon Kindle has a feature where popular sentences of eBooks are underlined, showing parts that multiple readers have highlighted. This is basically the best gift ever for a writer: if you’re everContinue reading “Kindle reader highlights for The Next Together”
- What would Kate and Matt’s wedding be like?Someone sent me this ask on tumblr: If you were to write Katherine and Matt’s wedding scene, what would it be like and why? (ps. love your books ❤ <3) I loved it so much I answered in detail. IContinue reading “What would Kate and Matt’s wedding be like?”