I love a good soundtrack, both when I’m writing and reading. This is definitely one of the creepiest I’ve ever made, and it will hopefully make the reading experience all the scarier. Listen at your own risk on Spotify or Youtube.
These first songs are about how alone Romy is, and how she struggles with that feeling of isolation.
- Rocket Man//Elton John
- In My Room//The Beach Boys
- Like Real People Do//Hozier
- We Gotta Get Out of this Place//The Animals
- London Calling//The Clash
- One//Aimee Mann
- I Don’t Wanna Be Alone Tonight//Dr Hook
As Romy talks to J and gets to know him, she starts to fall in love. These songs capture that feeling of the early giddy feelings of a new crush.
- What If I//Meghan Trainor
- Angels//The XX
- Happy Together//Filter
- Absolutely Smitten//Dodie Clark
- Wrecking Ball//Miley Cyrus
- You Belong to Me//The Duprees
In the middle of the book, it starts getting quite scary, so there’s a lot of creepy, atmospheric songs here which I listened to while I was writing it. The Infinity is a circular ship, and the living space is around the perimeter. The centre of the ship is used as storage for the supplies needed for the new planet, like building materials and food. Romy explores the dark, cramped storage area, which hasn’t been visited since the ship left Earth’s orbit. These songs capture that feeling of claustrophobia.
- Digital Suicide Lullaby//Brii
- Poison & Wine//The Civil Wars
- Where Do You Think You’re Going//Dire Straits
- Theme Music//American Horror Story
- Fantasy//MS MR
- The Devil Within//Digital Daggers
- Help I’m Alive//Metric
- Up Jumped the Devil//Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
- Obsessions//Marina and the diamonds
- Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums//Sebastian Stroud
- You’ll Be Back//Hamilton Soundtrack
After the big climax of the book, there’s a happier, more optimistic ending to the book with these final songs.
- Non, je ne regrette rien//Edith Piaf
- One day I’ll fly away//The Vaults
- Life on Mars?//David Bowie
- Worst Trip//Dr. Dog
- Always Look on the Bright Side of life//Monty Python
- Ground Control// All Time Low
- Become the Colour//Emily Wells
If you have any recommendations for other songs which would fit with Romy’s story, please let me know – several of these are based on people’s recs!
I also answered reader questions in a video today:
Can you fall in love with someone you’ve never met, never even spoken to – someone who is light years away?
Romy Silvers is the only surviving crew-member of a spaceship travelling to a new planet, on a mission to establish a second home for humanity. Alone in space, she is the loneliest girl in the universe until she hears about a new ship which has launched from Earth with a single passenger on board. A boy called J.
Their only communication is via email and due to the distance between them, their messages take months to transmit. And yet Romy finds herself falling in love.
But what does Romy really know about J? And what do the mysterious messages which have started arriving from Earth really mean?
Sometimes, there’s something worse than being alone…
“Gripping psychological thriller with a very relatable heroine” ~ The Bookseller
“Black Mirror-esque. A fantastic slow-build drama.” ~ SFX
The Loneliest Girl In The Universe is the third novel by Lauren James. It is a psychological thriller set in space and will be published by Walker Books in the UK and Australia on 7th September 2017, and Harperteen in July 2018. You can add it on Goodreads or subscribe to my mailing list for updates.
Sign up to be notified when the US edition of The Loneliest Girl in the Universe is published and ARC copies are available for request.
If you leave a review of the book on a retail site like Amazon, Waterstones or Barnes & Noble, I will send you a signed, personalised bookplate. Fill out this form to claim your bookplate.
My tumblr posts about The Loneliest Girl In The Universe are all collected here. Here are some links to get you started: